Sunday, February 12, 2017

Happy Violence


In my opinion, happy violence is glorified and projects a highly unrealistic view of what the consequences of those actions would actually be in the real world. The best way to explain what happy violence is, is to show it through examples. A recent movie I have seen that portrays happy violence is, "Deadpool". It is full of violence, but packed with witty writing and provided lots of laughs. While the character, Deadpool, is in a gun battle, I found myself laughing at the hilarious comments written in the movie, which distracts me entirely from the violence that I am watching.

Deadpool has made "killing bad guys" so nonchalant with the commentary and selection of music during violent scenes. Below is a link to the movie trailer that portrays happy violence. About 50 seconds into the trailer, selective music begins, and evidence of "happy violence" begins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xithigfg7dA


2 comments:

  1. I totally agree that "Deadpool" is an example of happy violence. I found myself laughing throughout the movie and I feel like having that humor distracted from the actual violence itself! The violence didn't seem bad because of the comments being made as it was happening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree totally with your example of Deadpool as "happy violence" and I'm upset that I didn't think of that one for my blog. But nevertheless, a perfect example of graphic, brutal violence portrayed in a witty, comedic sense with no real stakes (because Deadpool can't die anyways).

    ReplyDelete