Sunday, February 5, 2017

Regulators

Well. It's safe to say I had no idea what media conglomerates owned what. Not only was I unaware of what specific media they owned, I did not even know who the actual conglomerates were. I am seriously surprised that at age twenty-seven, I am just now learning this. Um, hello? Why am I just finding out? Truth be told, I was not really interested in finding out. More so, I didn't think to think about it. Looks like the media really did a number on me didn't they? Well, Isn't that their intention anyway? To heavily influence what you think you should be interested in?

Okay, so. With that being said, I decided to take a closer look at what I am interested in down the rabbit hole. One show I enjoy watching is called, Suits, which plays on USA. But, when I watch it, I buy the season through my apple T.V. I do this because I cannot commit to watching it when it plays because my schedule is always all over the place. I get to choose when I watch it, so for some reason, that sort of makes me feel like I am winning. But in all reality, I am not. For one, they are taking my money double time because we pay to already have cable, and then pay AGAIN for the season just to accommodate my schedule. Who is getting my money though? Apple is definitely getting some. Charter is definitely getting some. WHO OWNS USA? Who else is getting my money? Show your face.
(First column: GE  First orange word: Comcast)


USA Network is an American basic cable and satellite television channel that is owned by the NBC Universal Cable division of NBC Universal, itself a subsidiary of Comcast.-Wikipedia


Well, there's that answer. Hi GE, nice to finally know who takes my money, I am Caitie, a poor college student.

Going one deeper... Jeffrey Immelt is the chairman of the board and chief executive officer of GE. He was selected by GE's Board of Directors in 2000 to replace Jack Welch following his retirement. Previously, Immelt had headed GE's Medical Systems division (now GE Healthcare) as its President and CEO.-Wikipedia

Hey, Jeffrey! 

Here's how he felt back in August 2016: 

http://www.businessinsider.com/ge-ceo-jeff-immelt-calls-trump-comments-on-muslims-and-mexicans-unacceptable-2016-8

GE HAS THEIR HANDS FULL O' STUFF:

https://www.nytimes.com/topic/person/jeffrey-r-immelt

1 comment:

  1. Hi Caitie, I completely understand where you're coming from! I too love USA but I'm obsessed with Law & Order SVU... but I never cared who owned the channel nor did it matter. Although now that I've discovered that our exposure to TV is completely controlled I feel that we're being cheated of other choices that could exist. Although to be fairly honest, if given the choice, I don't think I would quite watching SVU just because some big cooperation owns it?

    ReplyDelete